Kirkcaldy of Grange
NT 270-885 Fife Scotland
Kirkcaldy of Grange was originally a mid 16th century stone tower house, founded by the Kirkcaldy family. A doorway dated 1687, on the north side of the main block and a massive fragment of wall, are incorporated within a later farmhouse. Flanking the north angle is a round tower, with stringcoures, a gunloop and a later entrance, it probably housed a turnpike stair. This is all that remains of the seat of Sir James Kirkcaldy of Grange, Lord High Treasurer to King James V and Queen Mary. A mile north-west is Piteadie Castle and 6 miles south-west is Aberdour Castle.