HomePage Path
Aberdour Castle
NT 192-855 Fife Scotland

Aberdour Castle Aberdour Castle was originally an early to mid 12th century stone rectangular two storey hall house and courtyard fortress, founded by Alan de Mortimer. With a first floor hall over a vaulted basement, it is arguably the oldest standing stone castle in Scotland. In the 15th century, the Douglases, earls of Morton and lords of Dalkeith, heightened the hall house to create a tower house, of three storeys and a garret. Later a spacious south-eastern stair wing was added which also gave access to a late 16th century three storey central range, founded by Regent Morton, on the site of a possible great hall. In the early 17th century, William Morton, the 8th Earl added the L-shaped east range, with a fine gallery and private chambers with painted ceilings in the projecting wing. After a serious fire in the 1680s only the east range was repaired and following another fire in 1715, the Douglas family abandoned the castle. 6 miles north-east is Kirkcaldy of Grange.


Street Map

Aberdour Castle is located in the village centre, off the High Street. 8 miles south-west of Kirkcaldy, on the A921.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-5:30pm, October 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday to Wednesday, November to March 9:30-4:30pm.

Car parking is by the side of the road.


Aberdour Castle pictures and large castle map
Aberdour Castle Picture 1Aberdour Castle Picture 2Aberdour Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved