NT 257-891 Fife Scotland
Piteadie Castle is a late 15th century stone rectangular keep and courtyard fortress, probably founded by the Valance family. Of three storeys and a garret, the Boswells and the Calderwoods, considerably altered the castle in the 17th century. The basement is vaulted and projecting out on the eastern angle, is the wing of a spiral stair crowned by a two storey cap-house. Above the wall-head, a corbelled-out stair-turret within the re-entrant angle, gives access to the upper rooms and corbelled out bartizans flanked two opposing angles. The castle is encased by the remains of a walled courtyard, with two Renaissance gateways dated 1686. A mile south-east is Kirkcaldy of Grange and 7 miles north-east is West Wemyss.