NX 891-992 Dumfriesshire Scotland
Morton Castle is a mid to late 13th century fortified stone hall house, founded by the Adairs. It stands on a remote triangular promontory, which was probably the site of a 12th century fortification built by Dunegal, Lord of Nithsdale. With a deep ditch to the south and steep slopes down to Morton Loch to the north, the remains now consists of a ruinous rectangular two storey block. Possibly dismantled in 1357 and rebuilt by the Earls of March in the early 15th century, there was a south-western gatehouse and a circular tower on the south-east angle. In 1459, the hall was a stronghold of the Douglases, which was occupied until 1715. 3 miles west is Drumlanrig Castle.
Morton Castle is located north-east of Carronbridge, off the A702. 17 miles north-west of Dumfries, on the A76-A702.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.