NX 852-992 Dumfriesshire Scotland
Drumlanrig Castle was originally a mid 14th century stone tower house, founded by the Earls of Mar. In the mid to late 17th century, William, Duke of Queensberry remodelled the castle in to a baronial courtyard mansion house, which shows a combination of castellated and Renaissance styles. It probably stands on the site of two previous fortifications but the earliest mention of the castle is in 1492. Built into the east wall of the mansion house, are fragments of two gun-loop, which are possibly 16th century in date. There are three iron yetts and also traces of earlier stonework in the south-east angle of the cellar. 3 miles east is Morton Castle and 17 miles south-east is Kirkhill Mote.
Drumlanrig Castle is located north-west of Carronbridge, off the A76. 17 miles north-west of Dumfries, on the A76.
The site is owned by The Buccleuch Estates and the castle is open, Bank Holiday weekends and daily, July and August, 11:00-4:00pm. Gardens and Country Estate open daily, April to September 10:00-5:00pm, Country Estate open daily October to March dawn to dusk.
There is a car park.