NT 253-412 Peeblesshire Scotland
Smithfield Castle was originally a 16th century tower house, founded by the Hays of Smithfield. In 1782 Alexander Stevenson, Sheriff Deputy of Peebleshire, erected a Georgian mansion on the site of the old tower and renamed it Venlaw Castle. Enlarged in 1854 by the Erskine family, in 1892 the mansion was extended in the Scottish Baronial style, with a large south wing and a turret. The east front stands on the site of the medieval fortress but sadly no trace of Smethfield exists. Visit pending. A mile south is Castle Hill and 2 miles south-west is Neidpath Castle.
Venlaw Castle is located a mile north of Peebles, off the A703 Edinburgh Road.
The hotel is owned and managed by PAG Hotels Ltd and access is restricted to guests with reservations for an overnight stay or dining in the restaurant.
There is a car park.