Castle Stede Hornby
SD 583-697 Lancashire England
Castle Stede is a late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by the de Montbegon family. Standing on high ground, against the steep slope formed by the valley of the River Lune, the fortification is the predecessor of Hornby Castle. The conical motte, is partly encased by a wide deep ditch and to the west is a large oval bailey, defended by a rampart and ditch. Taken by King John in 1205, it was soon returned to Roger de Montbegon, only to be abandoned by the mid 13th century. Like the castle, a World War II pillbox also defends the importance medieval ford, with its 17th century bridge. 2 miles north is Chapel Hill, Arkholme.
Castle Stede is located north of Hornby, off the B1345. 10 miles north-east of Lancaster, on the A683.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from the road, check website for details.
Car parking is by the side of the road.