Chepstow Town Gate
NY 800-608 Monmouthshire Wales
Chepstow Town Gate was originally the only gate in the 13th century Port Wall, founded by Roger Bigod, earl of Norfolk. The two storey stone gatehouse, was remodelled in the late 15th century and in 1524, the upper storey was made into a prison by Charles Somerset, earl of Worcester. It is now sadly hemmed in and hidden by other buildings and the windows, battlements and internal archways are 19th and 20th century replacements. Nearby is Chepstow Castle and 2 miles south-west is Moynes Court.
Chepstow Town Gate is located in the town centre, off High Street. 16 miles north-east of Newport, on the M4-M48-A466.
The site is visible from the road.
There is a car park nearby.