St Mawes Castle
SW 842-328 Cornwall England
St Mawes Castle is a stone artillery fortress, founded in 1540, by King Henry VIII. Built in a clover leaf plan, it has a perfectly preserved four storey round tower, with three single storey batteries attached. One of a pair of artillery forts, Pendennis Castle stands on the opposite headland. Visit pending.
St Mawes Castle is located south of the village centre, off Castle Drive. 18 miles south-west of St Austell, on the A390-A3078.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, July and August 10:00-6:00pm, April to June and September 10:00-5:00pm, October 10:00-4:00pm, Saturday and Sunday, November to March 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.