SX 891-503 Devon England
Kingswear Castle is a large 15th century stone square artillery tower, with a later 16th century blockhouse, which was founded by King Henry VIII. The tower defended the narrow entrance, of the Dart Estuary by holding one end of the Dartmouth chain. Built in 1491-4, it was abandoned in the 17th century and restored as a summer residence by Charles Seale-Hayne, in 1855. Visit pending. Positioned on the opposite bank of the haven-mouth is Dartmouth Castle and 10 miles north-west is Berry Pomeroy Castle.
Kingswear Castle is located south-east of Kingswear, on the east shore of the Dart Estuary. 30 miles south of Exeter, on the A380-A379.
The site is owned by The Landmark Trust and its holiday accommodation can be booked. The tower is visible from the coast path.
There is a car park.