TQ 559-093 Sussex England
Michelham Priory was originally a medieval fortified Augustinian monastery, founded in 1229 by Gilbert de Aquila. In the late 14th or early 15th century, Prior John Leem encased the large rectangular platform, with a wide moat. Flanking the moat is a 15th century square, three storey stone barbican gateway, which is accessed by an attached 16th century round-arched, parapeted bridge. Dissolved in 1537, the Church of the Holy Trinity was destroyed and the two storey frater and the three storey prior's lodging both 13th century, underwent several phases of alterations, including the adding of an extensive Tudor wing, by John Foote. 5 miles south-west is The Rookery Arlington and 7 miles east is Herstmonceux Castle.
Michelham Priory is located south of Upper Dicker, off Coldharbour Road. 9 miles north of Eastbourne, on the A22.
The site is owned by the Sussex Archaeological Society and is open daily, March to October 10:30-5:00pm, November to mid December 11:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.