TQ 527-440 Kent England
Penshurst Place was originally a 13th century fortified manor house, founded by Stephen de Penchester. In 1341, John de Pulteney was granted a licence to crenellate and he founded the stone manor house, when adding the magnificent Baron's Hall. In 1392, Sir John Devereux was granted a second licence to crenellate and encased the house with a square curtain wall, flanked by angle towers and smaller square intermediate towers. Forfeited to King Henry VIII in 1521, the house was extended and altered in 1552 and during 17th and early 18th century. The ancestral home of the Sidney family for over 450 years, it is now a large rambling country house, with 19th century restorations. 5 miles north-east is Tonbridge Castle and 5 miles south is Groombridge Place.
Penshurst Place is located in the village centre, off Penshurst Road. 5 miles north-west of Royal Tunbridge Wells, on the A26-B2176.
The site is owned by Philip Sidney, Viscount de L'Isle and is open daily, April to October, Saturday and Sunday mid February to March, Gardens 10:30-6:00pm or dusk, House 12:00-4:00pm, check website for details.
There is a car park.