SS 991-434 Somerset England
Dunster Castle is a mid to late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William de Mohun. Nothing now remains of the stone castle, which was held by William de Mohun against Henry de Tracy in 1138. Flanked by round towers, the gateway into the Lower Ward and part of the curtain wall, flanked by a tower were probably, added by Reynold de Mohun in the mid 13th century. Rebuilt by Sir Hugh Luttrell in 1420 he added the outer gatehouse and under William Arnold, the Jacobean house was built from 1617. Garrisoned for Parliament in the Civil War, the castle was taken by the Royalists in 1642 and in 1645-6 after a six month siege, it was retaken by the Parliamentarians. In the 18th century, the level of the lower ward was considerably raised and the motte was levelled to make a bowling green complete with a gazebo. In 1868-72 the castle buildings were enlarged and given a Victorian Gothic reconstruction by Anthony Salvin.
Dunster Castle is located in the village centre, off Castle Hill. 22 miles north-west of Taunton, on the A358-A39.
The site is owned by The National Trust and is open daily, mid-March to October 11:00-5:00pm. Garden and park open daily, mid March to October 10:00-5:00pm, November and December 11:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.