Hampton Court Palace
TQ 157-685 Surrey England
Hampton Court Palace was originally a 13th century grange, with a great hall and a stone camera, founded by the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem. In 1514, Cardinal Wolsey founded Hampton Court, when building a great courtyard house of two wards, fortified by turreted gatehouses and a moat. Wolsey's outer gatehouse, which was originally five storeys and vast Base Court, which was built to house his guests, still survives. Forfeited to the Crown in 1529, King Henry VIII remodelled much of the original house, founding a sophisticated and magnificent Royal Palace. In 1689-94 King William III, founded the final form of Hampton Court, when commissioning Sir Christopher Wren, to replaced Cloister Court and the old Tudor lodgings, with the Fountain Court. 6 miles south-east is Nonsuch Palace and 15 miles north-east is the Tower of London.
Hampton Court Palace is located in East Molesey, off Hampton Court Road. 13 miles south-west of London, on the A3212-A308.
The site is a Royal Palace and is open daily, April to October 10:00-6:00pm, November to March 10:00-4:30pm.
There is a car park.