NX 818-616 Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland
Buittle Place is a mid 14th century stone and timber royal courtyard fortress, founded by King Edward Balliol. Standing in a triangular court and encased by a timber palisade, is was the medieval Royal Burgh of Botel. The site was originally the inner bailey of Buittle Castle, which was captured from the English, in March 1313 by King Robert Bruce. Excavation has revealed, post-holes of both round and rectangular timber buildings, stables that were set in behind the timber palisade and a stone building of 1250, which was possibly dismantled and destroyed by fire. In 1347, a mansion house was constructed on the large stones of the building of 1250, which its self had been built, on the post-holes of an even earlier construction. The late 16th century Old Buittle Tower, now stands in the court.
Buittle Place is located west of Dalbeattie, off the A745. 14 miles south-west of Dumfries, on the A711.
The site is owned by Jeffrey and Janet Burn. The Borderers carry out a programme of living history events, which are held at weekends from Easter to December, at intervals of approximately six weeks.
There is a car park.