NX 739-623 Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland
Threave Castle is a massive late 14th century tower house, founded by Archibald the Grim, Lord of Galloway. Of five storeys and a garret and enclosed by a 15th century artillery fortification, James II besieged the castle in 1455, after which it became a Royal fortress. 6 miles east is Buittle Castle and 10 miles south-west is MacLellan's Castle.
Threave Castle is located on an island and is accessed by boat, west of Castle Douglas off the A75. 19 miles south-west of Dumfries, on the A75.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30 with last outward sailing at 4:30pm, October 9:30 with last outward sailing at 3:30pm.
There is a car park.