NT 574-758 East Lothian Scotland
Hailes Castle was originally a late 13th century stone fortified three storey manor house, probably founded by Hugo de Gourlay. Standing on the south bank of the River Tyne, Sir Adam de Hepburn absorbed the house in the construction of an early 14th century four storey keep and courtyard fortress. Defended on the landward approach, by a curtain wall and a great ditch, Archibald Dunbar besieged and captured the castle in 1443 and 'slew them that he found thairin.' The Hepburns extended the castle in the 15th and 16th century and Lord Grey of Wilton described it a house, 'of verie good strengthe' in 1547. Mary Queen of Scots was entertained here by James Hepburn, earl of Bothwell in 1567 and later King James VI granted the castle to Hercules Stewart. In the mid 17th century when belonging to the Seton family, Hailes was one of the local strongholds abandoned after Cromwell's victory at Dunbar. 2 miles north is Markle and 7 miles east is Dunbar Castle.
Hailes Castle is located south-west of East Linton, off Brae Heads Loan. 22 miles east of Edinburgh, on the A1.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-7:00pm Sunday 2:00-7:00pm, October to March 9:30-4:00pm Sunday 2:00-4:00pm.
There is a small car park.