NO 380-036 Fife Scotland
Aithernie Castle is an early 17th century stone tower house, founded by William Riggs. Aithernie was mentioned in a mid 12th century inheritance and in the 13th century it belonged to the Lundin family. Bought by James Watson in 1670, it was described as a fine house in 1710 but sadly a neglected ruin by 1803. A high corner showing some features, a grass covered length of wall and fragments of rubble are now the only remains. Apart from this small area, ploughing has entirely removed or scattered the rest of the masonry. 3 miles south-west at Kennoway is Maiden Castle and 3 miles east at Lower Largo is Pitcruvie Castle.