Castle Menzies was formerly known as the Place of Weem, a late 15th century stone stronghold, founded by Sir Robert Menzies. Possibly a strong tower with outhouses, it was attacked and burnt down by Neil Stewart in 1502. In the mid to late 16th century, the chiefs of the Clan Menzies rebuild and enlarged the fortress founding the Z-plan tower house. The main block is of three storeys and an attic and the two projecting square towers have five storeys. The thick internal wall between the hall and its ante-chamber is possibly an external wall and maybe this eastern end was part of the earlier fortress. In the early 18th century, a west wing was added and connected to this is the mid 19th century wing, designed by the architect William Burn. 4 miles south-west at Kenmore is Taymouth Castle and 15 miles north-east at Moulin is Caisteal Dubh.
|