Coxton Tower was originally a late 16th century stone tower house, founded by the Innes family. In 1584 after a family dispute, the newly build square tower of Coxton was torched by the Laird of Innes. Alexander Innes rebuild the tower in the early 17th century and in the south wall over the first floor entrance, is a heraldic panel dated 1644. Of four vaulted storeys with interconnecting hatches between each of the floors, a mid 19th century stone forestair now gives access. Two circular covered turrets and a corbelled-out square turret, flank the angles at the third floor level, with the stairs occupying the remaining angle. A wall probably enclosed a courtyard on the south and east sides but no trace remains. 3 miles north-west at Elgin is Bishop's House.
|