NH 847-499 Nairnshire Scotland
Cawdor Castle is a late 14th century stone rectangular tower house, founded by the Thanes of Calder. Of four storeys and a garret, the basement and third floor are vaulted and the entrance was originally on the first floor. The parapet, turrets and cap-house were added in the mid 15th century and the large iron yett that defends the entrance gateway is from the 1456 slighting of Lochindorb Castle. Standing against the east bank of Allt Dearg and encased by a deep ditch, the open side approach to the castle is by a drawbridge. In the 17th century, Donald Campbell of Calder added to every side of the tower, three storey ranges built in the Scottish vernacular style. 2 miles west at Croy is Kilravock Castle and 7 miles north-east at Nairn is Constabulary Garden.
Cawdor Castle is located in the village centre, off the B9090. 14 miles east of Inverness, on the A96.
The site is owned by Cawdor Castle Ltd and offers holiday accommodation. The castle is open daily, May to September 10:00-5:30pm.
There is a car park.