Invergordon Castle Inverbreakie
NH 698-696 Ross-shire Scotland
Invergordon Castle was originally the 13th century earthwork fortress, of Inverbreakie. The fortification was possibly founded by a Fleming immigrant, who was placed here by William the Lion and in the early 18th century, the estate was purchased by Sir William Gordon, who enlarged or rebuilt a stone tower house. In the early 19th century, a fire destroyed the tower house and in 1873 its remains were absorbed in the construction of a Elizabethan style mansion house. Owned by the MacLeods of Cadboll, in 1928 the house was completely demolished and the grounds are now occupied by a golf course. 10 miles south-west is Foulis Castle and 18 miles north is Skibo Castle.
Invergordon Castle is located in the town centre, off Castle Avenue. 24 miles north of Inverness, on the A9-B817.
The site is now part of the Invergordon Golf Club.
There is a car park.