NC 852-008 Sutherland Scotland
Dunrobin Castle was originally a mid 13th century castle, founded by earls of Sutherland. By 1401 Robert, earl of Sutherland had founded the stone square keep, which is vaulted on each floor and still has its original iron yett. In the 17th century, the keep was altered to make an E-plan tower house, of three storeys and a garret. This house was then absorbed in the construction of a Scottish baronial mansion, in the 19th and 20th century. 14 miles south-west is Skibo Castle.
Dunrobin Castle is located south of Dunrobin Mains, off the A9. 51 miles south-west of Wick, on the A99-A9.
The site is owned by the Countess of Sutherland and is open daily, June to August 10:30-5:30pm, April, May, September to mid October 10:30-4:30pm, Sunday 12:00-4:30pm, check website for details.
There is a car park.