SE 034-918 Yorkshire England
Bolton Castle is a late 14th century stone quadrangular fortress, founded by Sir Richard le Scrope, Lord Chancellor of England. The high east curtain wall, contains the gatehouse and its vaulted passage, is the only medieval entrance to this palatial castle. The large rectangular courtyard, is surrounded by an impressive range of lodgings, three storeys high and only five identical doorways gave access, each protected by a portcullis. Huge five storey residential towers flank the angles, with flanking turrets on the north and south curtain walls but sadly following Civil War slighting, the Kitchen Tower collapsed in 1761. 7 miles south-east is Middleham Castle and 7 miles north-east is Walburn Hall.
Bolton Castle is located at Castle Bolton, off Castle End. 25 miles north-west of Ripon, on the A6108-A684.
The site is owned by Bolton Castle Estates and is open daily, mid February to October 11:00-5:00pm.
There is a car park.