NY 792-141 Cumbria England
Brough Castle was originally a stone ringwork and bailey fortress, founded by William Rufus. The 11th century curtain wall, which displays herringbone masonry, is built within the Roman fort of Verterae and a wide U-shaped ditch, divided the fort into two baileys. In the 12th century, Hugh de Morville added the keep to the ringwork, founding the keep and courtyard castle. The Clifford family added a new hall, flanked Clifford's Tower in the 14th century but the buildings were destroyed by a great fire in 1521. In the 17th century, Lady Anne Clifford restored the castle and converted it into a country mansion. 8 miles north-west is Appleby Castle and 14 miles east is Bowes Castle.
Brough Castle is located in Church Brough, off the A685. 22 miles south-east of Penrith, on the A66-A685.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to September 10:00-5:00pm, October to March 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.