NY 001-226 Cumbria England
Hayes Castle was originally a medieval manorial complex, founded by the de Multon family. In 1322, Robert de Leyburn founded the stone castle when he granted a licence to strengthen his dwelling house, with a wall of stone and lime. Standing on a square platform, encased by a moat are the remains of the curtain wall, which once encased a square tower house. 2 miles south-west is Moresby Hall and 5 miles north-east is Branthwaite Hall.
Hayes Castle is located west of Common End, off Main Street. 10 miles south-west of Cockermouth, on the A66-595.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.