Vicar's Pele Ponteland
NZ 165-728 Northumberland England
Vicar's Pele is a three storey stone pele tower, which was built in the 14th or 15th century. It possibly stands on the site of a 13th century hall house and its south wing may have been rebuilt as the tower. Later it was part of a vicarage, which was demolished in the late 19th century, leaving a small dwelling house still attached. The house was removed in 1950 and the tower consolidated with concrete in 1971, excavations in 2001 uncovered a stone flagged floor inside the tower. There are blocked doors on the west and north sides and three large openings on the south face. This gaunt shell shows signs of a gabled roof on the west wall and the evidence of numerous later alterations and repairs. Nearby in Ponteland is the Blackbird Inn and 7 miles north-west is Belsay Castle.