Bridge Head Tower Warkworth
NU 248-062 Northumberland England
Bridge Head Tower is a stone rectangular gatehouse, founded after 1378-9 when John Cook of Newcastle, left 20 marks towards the construction of the bridge. Standing on the south bank of the the River Coquet, its vehicular gate passage with a rough four-centred vault, has a four-centred archway to the fore and a plain southern arch. Two round arched doorways give access to a vaulted guard chamber and a newel stair up to the ruinous upper floor, both chambers are lit by slit windows. In the 18th century, the guard chamber was used as the village lock-up and the late 14th century two span bridge is believed to be the only surviving fortified bridge in England. Nearby are the Church of St Lawrence and Warkworth Castle.