NU 187-135 Northumberland England
Alnwick Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and baileys fortress, founded by Yves de Vescy. In the mid 12th century, Eustace fitz John founded a strongly fortified stone castle, which was purchase by Henry de Percy in 1309 and extensively rebuilt. The shell keep was strengthened, with a cluster of seven semi-circular tower and a fine gatehouse. The curtain walls around both baileys, are well flanked with towers and a middle and outer gatehouses. The three storey outer gatehouse, is defended by a fine turreted barbican and in the true Northern tradition, stone defenders crown the battlements. Badly decayed by 1567, in the 18th century, Robert Adam restored and extended the castle to make a gothic style revival country house. Nearby in the town is Bondgate Tower, 7 miles north-east is Craster Tower and 7 miles south-east is Warkworth Castle.
Alnwick Castle is located in the town centre, off Bailiffgate. 39 miles north of Newcastle upon Tyne, on the A1-A1068.
The site is owned by the Duke of Northumberland and the castle is open daily, April to October 10:00-6:00pm, State Rooms 11:00-5:00pm, check website for details.
There are car parks nearby.