SE 402-481 Yorkshire England
Wetherby Castle was probably an early medieval stone castle, founded by the Percy family. Standing above the River Wharfe, the rocky promontory also had several phases of prehistoric, Romano-British and Saxon occupation. Foundations of a rectangular building, interpreted as an early to mid 13th century keep, were excavated behind Castle Garth House in 1922. In recent years coursed stonework of an unidentifiable building, was incorporated into a rock garden and the dwelling houses in Castle Garth were demolished in 2005-06. Replaced by flats, a blue plaque now proclaims 'Wetherby Castle 1140-1155, only the foundations of the keep remain'. 7 miles west is Harewood Castle and 5 miles south-east at Newton Kyme is Kyme Castle.