SD 859-556 Yorkshire England
Hellifield Peel was originally a mid 12th century fortified manorial complex, with a stone and timber-framed aisled hall. In the mid 13th century, Elias de Knoll attached a two storey, stone solar tower to the hall and the steep roof line, on the east wall of the tower, identifies the halls location. In 1440, Laurence Hammerton founded the stone three storey tower house, when he was granted a licensed to crenellate his manor. In the 17th and late 18th century, the tower was extended with major alterations, which included mullion, then Georgian windows and the battlemented parapet. Sadly when being restored, from a ruin into a dwelling house in 2005, an internal wall which was part of the original tower, collapsed. 5 miles south-west is Castle Haugh and 10 miles south-east is Skipton Castle.
Hellifield Peel is located in the village centre, off Peel Green. 10 miles north-west of Skipton, on the A65.
The site is a privately owned and managed country castle hotel and access is restricted to guests with reservations for an overnight stay, check website for details. The peel is visible from a public footpath, which passes its late 18th century ha ha from The Green.
There is a car park or parking is by the side of the road to view.