SE 790-716 Yorkshire England
Malton Castle was originally a Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William Tyson, lord of Alnwick. Standing within the Roman fort of Derventio, the motte was levelled in the 12th century and a stone enclosure castle founded, by William de Vesci. In 1322, after the battle of Byland the castle was captured and destroyed by King Robert de Bruce. Abandoned until the 17th century, when Ralph, Lord Eure founded a Jacobean mansion on the site but sadly only earthworks, a length of 12th century curtain wall and a 17th century lodge remain. 4 miles south at Langton is an earthwork and 8 miles north is Pickering Castle.
Malton Castle is located in the town centre, off Castlegate. 17 miles north-east of York, on the A64.
The curtain wall is visible from Castlegate and the lodge is visible from Old Maltongate.
Car parking is by the side of the road.