ST 634-906 Gloucestershire England
Thornbury Castle was originally an early 14th century fortified stone manor house, founded by Hugh de Audley. In 1510, Edward Stafford, duke of Buckingham founded the stone castle, when granted a Royal licence to crenellate Thournebury. Work to incorporate the old manor house started in 1507 but after King Henry VIII had the duke executed in 1521, all work ceased. The elaborate Tudor palace-castle remained uninhabited until 1720, when the Inner Court was converted into a country house. Restored in 1811 for Lord Henry Howard, this fine example of Tudor, Aspendicular domestic architecture, was finished in 1854, by Anthony Salvin for Henry Howard. The adjoining Outer Court of 1521 is still unfinished. 7 miles north-east is Berkeley Castle.
Thornbury Castle is located in the town centre, off Castle Street. 12 miles north of Bristol, on the M4-A38.
The hotel is owned by von Essen hotels and access is restricted to guests with reservations for an overnight stay, weddings, dining in the restaurant or exclusive use.
There is a car park.