TL 049-852 Northamptonshire England
Barnwell Castle is a mid 13th century stone enclosure fortress, founded by Berengar le Moine. This large rectangular castle, is encased by a high curtain wall, which is flanked by huge two storey towers. At the south-east corner, is a twin-towered gatehouse and a D-shaped tower, with two trilobate towers and a round tower on the other angles. In 1568, Sir Edward Montagu founded a Tudor manor house, in the outer court and sadly demolished all the buildings within the courtyard. 3 miles south-west is Wadenhoe Castle and 5 miles north-west of Benefield Castle.
Barnwell Castle is located in the village centre, off Well Lane. 15 miles south-west of Peterborough, on the A1139-A605.
The site is strictly private, with no public access and is only visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.