SP 490-934 Leicestershire England
Sapcote Castle is a Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by the Basset family. The castle is only just discernible, with the motte standing only a metre high, after it was levelled in 1778. The bailey ditches have also been filled in and are now only marks in the grass. To the west, is a late medieval moated platform, with the faint remains of three arms of the moat. When built, the two sites then became a very large manorial complex, in which a wide-spread rubble layer, has been encountered. 4 miles north is Earl Shilton Castle and 7 miles south-east is Gilmorton Motte.
Sapcote Castle is located in the village centre, off Hinckley Road. 10 miles south-west of Leicester, on the A5460-B4114.
The site is in a public park and is accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.