SP 021-827 West Midlands England
Weoley Castle was originally a 12th century fortified manor house, founded by William fitz Ansculf. In 1264, Roger de Somery was granted licence to crenellate and he founded the stone castle, when encasing the platform with a curtain wall. The platform now supports the foundations of a 14th century chapel and a 15th century hall and solar, contained within domestic and lodging ranges. Surrounded by a wide ditch, its curtain wall is flanked by five small rectangular towers, with the gatehouse on the outer bank of the deep wet ditch. With 8 miles north-west is Dudley Castle and 8 miles east is Hobs Moat.
Weoley Castle is located in Birmingham, off Alwold Road. 4 miles south-west of the city centre, on the A456-B4121.
The site is owned by Birmingham City Council and can be viewed daily, from the viewing platform. Access to the ruins are available on event days.
Car parking is by the side of the road.