Castle Hill Hough on the Hill
SK 924-464 Lincolnshire England
Castle Hill is a medieval earthwork motte and bailey fortress, built on land which was held by Ralf the Staller, in 1066. From the bailey platform, a natural mound was scarped to make a steep-sided motte, encased by a ditch. In the bailey, parts of the church of All Saints, particularly the base of the tower are Saxon and in 1164, a small priory of Augustine canons was founded nearby. Seized by King Richard II, the priory was restored to Cherburgh in Normandy in 1399. 8 miles south-east is Heydour Castle and 10 miles north-west is Newark Castle.