HomePage Path
Belvoir Castle
SK 820-337 Leicestershire England

Belvoir Castle Belvoir Castle was originally a Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Robert de Todeni, le Fundeur. In 1267, Robert de Ros founded the stone castle, when King Henry III granted him a Royal licence to crenellate his place of Belver. Its layout is depicted on a medieval seal, showing the motte supporting a quadrangular three storey keep encased by a wall, all battlemented. Dominating the Vale of Belvoir, in 1461 during the Wars of the Roses, this Lancastrian fortress was partially dismantled and left to decay. The castle was rebuilt in the 16th century by the Manners family but it was slighted after the Civil War. Rebuilt again from 1800, a major fire in 1816 destroyed all but the outer walls but by 1830 the castle had been given its dramatic Gothic revival reconstruction. 7 miles north-west at Aslockton is Cranmer's Mound and 15 miles north-east is Heydour Castle.


Street Map

Belvoir Castle is located high above the village centre, off Cliff Road. 18 miles east of Nottingham, on the A52.

The site is owned by the Duke of Rutland and is open, Sunday and Monday Easter and May to August by guided tour only, gardens open April to July 11:00 to 5:00pm, check website for dates, for dates.

There is a car park.


Belvoir Castle pictures and large castle map
Belvoir Castle Picture 1Belvoir Castle Picture 2Belvoir Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved