SK 582-149 Leicestershire England
Mountsorrel Castle is a late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, probably founded by Hugh Lupus, earl of Chester. A stone castle of the earl of Leicester, it was confiscated by King Henry II in 1174 and the tower over the walls and other buildings were repaired in the late 12th century. Repaired again in King John's reign, only to be abandoned in 1217 after being razed to the ground, early in the reign of King Henry III. Standing on the northern part of a granite outcrop is a scarped circular motte, with the remaining platform becoming a now mutilated bailey. The motte is partly quarried away and crowned by a war memorial, with the remains of a wide bailey ditch to the south. 9 miles south-west at Groby is Castle Hill and 12 miles west at Donington le Heath is the Manor House.
Mountsorrel Castle is located in the village centre, off Watling Street. 6 miles north of Leicester, on the A6.
The site is freely accessible in daylight hours, check website for details.
Car parking is by the side of the road.