SK 073-425 Staffordshire England
Alton Castle is a mid to late 12th century stone enclosure fortress, founded by Bertram de Verdon. Standing on a hill overlooking the Churnet Valley, the castle is protected by a precipitous cliff to the north and a curtain wall, with a rock-cut ditch to the south. Substantially reconstructed during the 15th century, a tall rectangular tower with a chamfered plinth and crossloops, flanks the curtain wall. In the ditch are the remains of a postern and an early 13th century twin-towered gatehouse, which still shows its portcullis slot to the west. In 1847 after being slighted during the Civil War, Pugin gave the remains a Gothic reconstruction. 8 miles east is Stydd Hall and 13 miles south-west is Chartley Castle.
Alton Castle is located in the village centre, off Castle Hill Road. 15 miles east of Stoke-on-Trent, on the A50-A521-B5032.
The site is a residential youth centre and is strictly private. You may view from outside the gates, of the centre, check website for details.
There is a car park.