Old Buckenham Castle
TM 072-925 Norfolk England
Old Buckenham Castle was originally an 11th century earth and timber ringwork and bailey fortress, founded by William de Albini. Of two wards, the rectangular moated enclosure, is the predecessor to Buckenham Castle, on which an Augustinian Monastery was founded, in 1146. The northern ward, supports earthworks with the remains of flint and rubblestone walls and a small platform, which probably represent the site of residential ranges or the Priory church. The Augustinian Canons, dismantled the castle defenses and used the materials to construct the priory, which was dissolved in 1536.